Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Eat To The Beat: Cooking Tunes!!

I found a great blog through the Foodie Blogroll (see my sidebar) called Elly Says Opa! She has a neat blogging event called Eat To The Beat. Here's my entry...its all about how I incorporate music into the cooking and eating that happens in our kitchen!
Music in the kitchen makes all the difference while preparing a meal. The right tunes, whether carefully chosen or played in a whim, add to the fun of cooking and the pride in the finished product. Here are a few of the different ways I enjoy music while cooking.


Internet Radio For Dishes From Around The World
A great way to enjoy music in the kitchen is to use Internet radio sites. I use Last Fm or Pandora to play wonderful music suited to the food I am cooking. It may be my imagination, but authentic music seems to bring out the flavors and scents of food! One of my favorite meal/food combos is some delicious Indian food and the warm sounds of Mohammed Rafi.

Compiling Your Own Kitchen Mixes

Another great way to spend time in the kitchen is with personalized mix cds or playlists. Kitchen and cooking themed songs are perfect for this project.


"Kitchen Man," by Bessie Smith and "If I Knew You Were Comin' I'd've Baked A Cake, " by Eileen Barton are two of my favorites. Check out this list of tons of food-themed songs.


Vinyl, Baby!
This is my favorite! If you are fortunate enough to have a record player and records in your home, crank it up and let the crackle of the music add another dimension to your dishes. My favorite cooking records on lazy afternoons are Sarah Vaughn and Elvis Costello.

While You Eat...

Perhaps the best way to enjoy music in the kitchen is with the food! Music sets a mood and can make a meal even more delicious. Enjoy!!!

3 comments:

allularpunk said...

what a neat idea!

JennDZ - The Leftover Queen said...

Elly's blog is one of my favorites! This is a great entry! :)

Elly said...

Great entry! I love pandora, too. It's fantastic. Thanks so much for participating!