Save the turkeys!
Today's recipe is:
Vegetarian Pate en Croute
1 onion, minced
2 Tbsp. margarine
12 cups minced mushrooms
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 Tbsp. fresh parsley, minced
2 Tbsp. fresh rosemary, minced
2 Tbsp. lemon juice
2 1/2 cups dried bread crumbs
1 pkg. frozen puff pastry sheets, thawed
• In a large pot, over medium heat, sauté the onion in the margarine for a few minutes.
• Add the mushrooms and garlic and sauté 20 to 30 minutes until the liquid has evaporated. The mixture should be somewhat dry.
• Add the parsley, rosemary, lemon juice, and bread crumbs and mix well, forming a sticky ball. Allow the mixture to cool slightly or store in the refrigerator overnight.
• Thaw the puff pasty sheets for 30 minutes.
• Preheat the oven to 400ºF.
• Place one sheet of dough on a floured board and roll it out into a large square. Spread half of the mushroom mixture over half of the dough, leaving a 1-inch space along the edges. Fold the other half of the dough over the half with the mushroom mixture, pressing the edges together with your fingers, then crimp with a fork to seal. Make three slits on top, then place the pasty on an ungreased cookie sheet and put it into the refrigerator while you prepare the other sheet of dough in the same manner, using the remaining mushroom mixture. Put this on the same or another cookie sheet and refrigerate for a few minutes.
• Put the tray(s) into the oven and bake for 20 minutes, until the dough is puffed and golden.
• Cut into bite-sized pieces. Makes approximately 32 pieces
Image credit: http://cagle.com/news/SaveTheTurkeys/
Blog link: soychick.com/food/?p=155