Friday, June 24, 2011

Bake Sale For Animals in Need

I love participating in the monthly Ouachita River Valley Animal League Bake Sale. It gives me a chance to try a new vegan baking recipe (without eating the whole batch!), get crafty, and help local animals all at the same time! Previous bake sale recipes have included Decadent Vegan Brownies (HIAV) and Vegan Mexican Hot Chocolate Snickerdoodles (Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar: 100 Dairy-Free Recipes for Everyone's Favorite Treats)!

My 3rd month's contribution was another winner from How It All Vegan: oatmeal coconut cookies!

How It All Vegan!: Irresistible Recipes for an Animal-Free Diet

I used whole wheat flour, bananas, cinnamon, organic vanilla extract and coconut, and whole oats. Though the recipe involved a little white sugar and oil, it was overall pretty healthy as cookies go! 



 My less-than-glamorous cookie sheet...holding some delightfully tasty dough...bonus for vegan cookie dough: you can eat it all day without worrying about eggy-disease!!









While the cookies baked, I made little tags. The Bake Sale treats range from traditional ingredients to 100% vegan, so I like to mark mine for anyone with a preference. I also get excited thinking that maybe that "vegan" word will pique someone's interest and get them exploring veganism!



Happy time! Cookies ready for packing:



I labeled the cookies in bags and they were ready for the bake sale!

If you are local and would like to contribute goodies, or would like the bake sale to come by your office/workplace, please let me know! 

No comments: