Thursday, November 10, 2011

Vegan Broccoli Cheese Soup & NHBPM #10

Oh it's been so soupy around our house lately. Soup is so awesome for eating vegan, sticking to a budget, and getting warm and toasty when the weather is cold. Expect to see a lotta yummy soups 'round here! 




Today's soup is a vegan broccoli cheese soup. I Googled this recipe as a basic guide, then went to town making my own changes. I am not a big fan of fake cheese products money-wise or taste wise, so this recipe worked nicely for me. Nutritional yeast is really all I need to get cheezy! Here's the recipe the way I did it:

  • 1 large bag of frozen broccoli
  • 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
  • 1 cup nutritional yeast
  • salt to taste
  • 1 cup oat flour
  • 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried yellow mustard powder
  • 8 cups water
  • 1-2 T vegan butter
Make soup, yo!


Today's National Health Blog Post #10:


"Our favorite social media sites are constantly undergoing renovations to become quicker to navigate, easier to interact with, all encompassing, mobile, and everywhere. Imagine the same thing about your community – how will they evolve, improve, and grow?


I'd love to see all the energy put into online life into real life! It does take effort, and in our techy world, we have to readjust to taking it a little slower, but the rewards are amazing. Being around living, breathing, people working towards a common goal is very powerful! I am personally working towards this by making time for being with friends, working on projects whose benefits are spiritual/mental rather than monetary or goal-oriented, cooking from scratch, taking time to just sit and enjoy simple pleasures...that's my idea of progress. I am super inspired by real-life friends and people I read about who are making art, sharing talents, improving communities, and generally giving of themselves to add to the richness of a particular place or group. Love it!

3 comments:

Bianca said...

This post made me realize I haven't had broccoli & cheese soup since going vegan. What the hell? I must make this!!

Molly ~Vegan Flower said...

I prefer nutritional yeast for cheesy flavor, too. We've also been making a lot of soups lately. They're perfect for cold weather! I'll have to try this one out. It looks good. :)

Sal said...

I like the fact this soup has a whole cup of nooch! I approve! :0)